Adaptive TSD vs. “classical” GSD [Two-Stage / GS Designs]

posted by Ben – 2015-12-02 20:27 (3060 d 09:23 ago) – Posting: # 15687
Views: 12,379

Dear Helmut / All,

You raised an interesting question and yes the TSD from Potvin et al appears to have astonishing design features. The classical GSD or the adaptive two-stage design according to the inverse normal method rely on a formal statistical framework: mathematical theorems including proofs are available on why they work, what properties they have and how they should be applied. This is nice. For the Potvin approach we only have simulations for certain scenarios at hand. Even though it appears to be good, it is not clear if this is always the case. More information on that topic with some more elaborations contains for example the article from Kieser and Rauch (2015).

❝ In a TSD one would opt for a stage 1 sample size of ~75% of the fixed sample design.

Reference? Some software packages give an inflation factor that helps determining the study size… Anyhow, I think such a rule of thumb is too strict and inflexible.

Consider for example two alternative scenarios:Two further comments on the comparison:Therefore, I think the GSD has some charme and can be useful in situations with uncertainty. Moreover, the advantage is that we do not have to rely on only simulation results from certain parameter settings (So I disagree with ElMaestro on that GSDs are a relic from the past with inferior properties).

Best regards,
Ben

Ref:
Kieser M, Rauch G
Two-stage designs for cross-over bioequivalence trials
Stat Med (Epub ahead of print 24 March 2015)
doi 10.1002/sim.6487

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,666 registered users;
92 visitors (0 registered, 92 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 06:50 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5