The quantification of vitamins to determine bio­equi­valence [Regulatives / Guidelines]

posted by Mauricio Sampaio  – Brazil, 2015-07-07 08:16 (3206 d 14:35 ago) – Posting: # 15046
Views: 2,590

Hi everyone!

Three studies compared diclofenac with the addition of B vitamins for low back pain.
  1. Kuhlwein A, Meyer HJ, Koehler CO. Reduced diclofenac administration by B vitamins: results of a randomized double-blind study with reduced daily doses of diclofenac (75 mg diclofenac versus 75 mg diclofenac plus B vitamins) in acute lumbar vertebral syndromes. Klin Wochenschr 1990; 68:107–15.

2. Vetter G, Bruggemann G, Lettko M, et al. Shortening diclofenac therapy by B vitamins. Results of a randomized double-blind study, diclofenac 50 mg versus diclofenac 50 mg plus B vitamins, in painful spinal diseases with degenerative changes. Z Rheumatol 1988;47:351–62.

3. Bruggemann G, Koehler CO, Koch EM. Results of a double-blind study of diclofenac + vitamin B1, B6, B12 versus diclofenac in patients with acute pain of the lumbar vertebrae. A multicenter study. Klin Wochenschr 1990; 68:116–20.
The authors of all 3 studies reported positive results for the combination therapy, although there were no statistically significant differences reported.

The authors concluded that there is conflicting evidence that an NSAID (diclofenac) plus B vitamins are more effective than diclofenac alone for acute low back pain, and limited evidence that B vitamins do not provide additional effect to an NSAID for chronic degenerative low back pain.

In this case, if the vitamins B are part of formulation of reference product, I have the questions below:
  1. I need to consider the quantification of vitamins in the bioequivalence study to prove that reference and test product are interchangeable? :confused:

2. If you answered "YES" in the question above, I would like to know why? Note with previous information: "..there is conflicting evidence that an NSAID (diclofenac) plus B vitamins are more effective than diclofenac alone for acute low back pain, and limited evidence that B vitamins do not provide additional effect to an NSAID for chronic degenerative low back pain". Therefore, I think illogical to prove the bioequivalence of compounds that don't have trusty clinical evidences. :no:

3. On the other hand, if I made a mistake in last conclusion above (iten 2), and Vitamins can be Actives Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API), can I apply the concept of BCS? In conclusion, the vitamins may be considered candidates for biowaivers? :confused:
If all above don't make a sense, please, inform or send to me the specific guidelines.

I wait any consideration.

Regards

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,984 posts in 4,822 threads, 1,654 registered users;
48 visitors (0 registered, 48 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 22:51 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

You can’t fix by analysis
what you bungled by design.    Richard J. Light, Judith D. Singer, John B. Willett

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5