Bizarre discussion… [PK / PD]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2015-02-17 18:06 (3354 d 22:25 ago) – Posting: # 14442
Views: 12,959

Dear Jan,

❝ […] the discussion was simply about comparison of two numbers, 1000 and 730.

[image]OK, but is such a comparison meaningful at all? No way. We have values, which consist of two parts: a number and a unit.
IMHO, comparing numbers whilst ignoring units doesn’t make any [sic] sense.
Some physicians notoriously “forget” units. When they tell me “The patient has a value of 37!” I use to reply “37 what? Cats? That’s a lot if he lives in a small apartment.”

There is a nice thing in physics called unit equa­tion. Let’s go back to msmnainar’s example of Cmax 1,000 ng/mL and AUC 730 h×ng/mL. What do we mean in com­mon language when we say sum­fink is smaller than another? We calculate a dif­fe­rence (two apples are less than three) or a ratio (hey, T/R). In the former case the unit equation would no work at all and in the latter the result for AUC/Cmax would be 0.73 h. Gimme a break! Please don’t tell me that two apples are less than three oranges.

Another example: The orthodromic distance from Moscow to Vladi­vostoc is 6,434 km. Makes quite a walk. If we switch units – do you think that 0.0000000002085pc are shorter?

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,993 posts in 4,828 threads, 1,651 registered users;
103 visitors (0 registered, 103 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 17:31 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

Never never never never use Excel.
Not even for calculation of arithmetic means.    Martin Wolfsegger

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5