Design vs Analysis [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2014-10-15 22:21 (3474 d 12:22 ago) – Posting: # 13721
Views: 2,446

[image]Dear all,

I’m just reading the “XXVIIth International Biometric Con­fer­ence Highlights” in the Biometric Bulletin.
The IBC2014 was held in Florence last July. The “Honorary Life Membership”, considered the highest honor of the Biometric Society, was granted to Lutz Edler, Roger Mead and Byron Morgan.

Although unable to travel, Roger Mead asked his son Andrew to read a message to the membership. It said, in part:

I am very pleased that the Design of Experiments¹ is included in the citation on my plaque. Design sadly lags far behind Analysis in the perception of most statisticians, and yet, as I re­marked at the 1988 Con­fer­ence², Design is 7.6 times as important as Analysis (for a few con­fer­ences this became an in-joke and I was asked was it still 7.6? The answer, of course, was that the im­por­tance ratio varied, getting as high as 8.3, and as low as 6.4).

1. Roger Mead. The Design of Experiments: Statistical Principles for Practical Applications. Cambridge University Press, 1988.
  2. XIVth International Biometric Conference
    Facultés Universitaires Notre-Dame de la Paix, Namur, Belgium
    July 18 to July 22, 1988

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,657 registered users;
99 visitors (0 registered, 99 guests [including 2 identified bots]).
Forum time: 10:43 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The whole purpose of education is
to turn mirrors into windows.    Sydney J. Harris

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5