Calculation of AUCt, AUCall, AUCinf... [NCA / SHAM]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2007-11-28 13:28 (5986 d 23:52 ago) – Posting: # 1341
Views: 25,221

Dear Ohlbe!

❝ Hey, that's a nice post and a nice demonstration.

Thanks!

❝ By the way, nice new home page, too.

Oh, I just refurbished the CSS; that's the wonderful thing with valid (X)HTML – if you want to change the layout of an entire website, only a single file has to be modified. Theoretically. :-D

❝ ❝ It’s definitely better to go with Method #5, which is standard according to the WHO, European any many other countries’ guidelines.

❝ […] Anyway the EU BE guideline recommends the use of AUCt as the "most reliable estimate of the extent of absorption" anyway.

Without going into my files - the main parameter for extent of BA was changed from the 1992 version in 1998; and I’m still happy with it. There are a lot of papers published demonstrating for partial AUCs that beyond 2–4× tmax point estimates do not essentially change any more; only variability increases. The worst metric in terms of variability is AUC0-∞.

❝ I couldn't find it either in the WHO guideline, which mentions "Clast" and defines it as "last measurable concentration".

OK, the entire paragraph reads:

Area under the plasma/serum/blood concentration–time curve from time zero to time t (AUC0–t), where t is the last sampling time point with a measurable concentration of the API in the indi­vi­du­al formulation tested. The method of calculating AUC-values should be specified. In general AUC should be calculated using the linear/log trapezoidal integration method. The exclusive use of compartmental-based parameters is not recommended.

So the recommendation goes with Method #1 (not #2!).

Further down:

AUC0–t and Cmax are considered to be the most relevant parameters for assessment of bio­equi­va­lence. In addition it is recommended that the following parameters be estimated:
- area under the plasma/serum/blood concentration–time curve from time zero to time infinity (AUC0-∞) representing total exposure, where AUC0-∞ = AUC0–t + Clast/β; Clast is the last mea­sur­able drug concentration and β is the terminal or elimination rate constant calculated according to an appropriate method;

It’s nice to see AUC0–t as the recommended metric – but it’s a pity to go with Method #4 for extrapolation.

❝ Is there any recommendation I have missed in EU or WHO guideline, or made at a conference ?

Not in the guidelines; in papers, workshops & conferences – yes.
Perhaps I will post a little collection the next days.

❝ I couldn't say about BA trials (where there would be more modelling anyway) but I think I've only seen once a BE trial using Method #5.

Really? Was it one of my hundreds? :-D
OK, to be more serious – I used Method #4 in only 3 out of >500 studies, because I failed in convincing these sponsors in the reasonability of applying Method #5.
Method #5 is my standard and also in a couple of CROs which are rather more scientifically than “cook­book”-driven in their evaluations. On the other hand I never got any deficiency letter claiming that I should recalculate my results obtained with Method #5 by Method #4.
Just the fact that Method #5 is implemented in commercial software packages (WinNonlin, Kinetica) gives you a hint that it must be used by somebody – except myself.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,664 registered users;
95 visitors (0 registered, 95 guests [including 10 identified bots]).
Forum time: 14:20 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5