AUC∞ = lousy metric [NCA / SHAM]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2013-06-19 20:15 (3957 d 19:36 ago) – Posting: # 10824
Views: 7,086

Hi John,

❝ Has anyone seen a BE study failing due to AUCinf falling outside 80-125% and the variability in the results seem to be attributed to the determination of Kel (jumpy concentrations)?

From a European perspective, AUC doesn’t bother me (BE only required for AUCt). Sometimes sponsors wanted me to assess BE of AUC as ‘supportive information’ (for some wacky reasons I don’t understand). As expected regularly the CV was higher. Wouldn’t surprise me if there are studies in the wild passing AUCt and failing AUC. Kamal Midha gave numerous presentations showing dependency of the variability of partial AUCs from the truncation time point. The CV is (sometimes prohibitively) large during the – early absorption phase and decreases afterwards. Sometimes the variability slightly increases again during the latest time points since the variability of concentrations approaching the LLOQ increases. AUC was generally more variable than AUCt.
Funny enough it was shown already two decades ago that AUC is a bad metric for extent of absorption.* Some of the authors were usual suspects from the FDA. From the abstract:

The accuracy, precision, and ease of use of the various measures of extent were evaluated, and statistical power analyses were performed. Among the measures tested, the most reliable were the AUC computed up to the time of the last quantifiable concentration, without extrapolation, and Cmax.

(my emphasis)
Lessons not learned.

❝ Sampling timepoint setup was adequate in terms of capturing the terminal eleminaition phase of the PK profile. I wonder if there is any way to save this study.

Duno. Maybe you can start an argument that AUC is not a reliable PK metric. According to the paper AUC is not only more variable, but may also be biased (depending on the PK model and the LLOQ). On the other hand both AUCs are required. Good luck.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,654 registered users;
97 visitors (1 registered, 96 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:52 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The whole purpose of education is
to turn mirrors into windows.    Sydney J. Harris

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5