Lin-up/log-down trapezoidal avoids most trouble [NCA / SHAM]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2013-05-20 16:22 (3990 d 22:40 ago) – Posting: # 10604
Views: 17,837

Hi Gracehung,

please follow the Forum’s Policy in the future. THX.

❝ As in BE study, One sample’s actual sampling time was miss recorded. However as according to protocol, this sample was analyzed by our analytical laboratory.

Perform an audit. Why was an existing sample recorded as missing?

❝ 1. it was not specified in protocol…

Don’t worry, it’s too late. :-D

❝ … how would you handling this missed time point at statistical analysis?

In the future describe how you would handle missing samples in an SOP or – much better IMHO – in the protocol. In the latter case any procedure is more transparent to an assessor (i.e., approved by the IEC and the local authority).

❝ 2. Will this data be included in statistical analysis? If yes, what is the handling procedure?

Depends on the intellectual horsepower you are willing/able to invest. Missings are generally not problematic if unambiguously located in the absorption1 or distribution/elimination2 phase. If the missing might be Cmax3 data imputation is problematic. Regulators don’t like PK modeling, so I have tried regressive splines with not very convincing results (references there). :-(

❝ 3. If the data is excluded, what kind of method would you use in calculate your AUC?

❝ a. Would you adapt interpolation method?

❝ b. If yes, would you adapt logarithmic interpolation or linear interpolation?

I always suggest to use the lin-up/log-down trapezoidal method. I think that Pharsight will make it even the default in the next version of Phoenix/WinNonlin. No need to impute data. Fine unless the missing might be Cmax… See also this presentation about different integration algos (especially slides 16–17 on what happens with missing values).

❝ 4. Is there any guideline or reference document we could follow?

Not that I recall.

Let’s denote denote the missing as Ci. Then if
  1. Ci+1 > Ci-1 ~ absorption
  2. Ci+1 < Ci-1 ~ distribution/elimination
  3. Ci+1 = Ci-1 ~ Cmax or pure chance? Any algo will come up with the linear interpolation Ci = Ci-1 + |(ti ti-1)/(ti+1 ti-1)|(Ci+1 Ci-1) – which likely underestimates the true value.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,990 posts in 4,826 threads, 1,646 registered users;
67 visitors (1 registered, 66 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:03 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

If you don’t like something change it;
if you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.    Mary Engelbreit

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5